Wayne Holland, Commander
1305 North First Street
Dixon, CA 95620
American Legion Hall- Peets Coffee! Lunch Served Daily- Every Friday, All You Can Eat Fish Fry- Discounts for Veterans-Hall Rentals for Weddings, Receptions, Birthdays!
American Legion History
The Post is a member of Area One, District 5 and Solano County Council, of The American Legion Department of California. Area One is made up of 7 Districts in 26 Counties located in Northern California. District 5 being made up of 30 posts in the Counties of Napa, Sonoma, Solano, Marin and Lake, Solano County Council is made up of the 8 posts in the county.
February 1920: On behalf of the ex-service men of Dixon and vicinity, a committee composed of J. M. Cowden, R. S. Currey, R. P. Rierson and O. C.Little is proceeding with the formation of a post of The American Legion in Dixon. A meeting of all ex-service men of this community are urged to attend at Dixon Union High School at 8:00 o’clock February 14, 1920. These members signed the application for an American Legion Charter; O. C. Little, John M. Cowden, C. A. Jacobs, R. P. Rierson, B. A. King, R. J. McCann, E. R. Beckwith, Raymond E. Little, C. W. Loucks, John V. Dawson, W. J. Keefa, Lambert Kumle, Alvin L. Relimka, Joe L. Remlenger, O. P. Floreth and S. Harold Fountain. The post was organized that night with about 30 ex-servicemen in attendance, J. M. Cowden presiding. The following were unanimously elected to serve as temporary officers, until the Charter is received: J. M. Cowden President, R. R. Rierson Vice President. O. C. Little, Secretary; and C. A. Jacobs, Treasurer. A committee composed of Dr Lambert Kumle, Dr O. P. Floreth and Wm. A. Briggs Jr. was appointed to draw up a Constitution and Bylaws for the post.
The Post received their Charter on February 26, 1920. The names on the Charter were as follows: O. C. Little, John Cowden, C. A. Jacobs, R. P. Rierson, B. A. King, R. J. McCann, E. R. Beckwith, Raymond E. Little, C. W. Loucks and John V. Dawson. We presently have two members who are sons of the charter members, Weston Jacobs and John V. Dawson.
October 1923: The erection of the Legion Building will be on a lot deeded to them by the Oscar C. Schulze Estate, on the north side of a building formerly occupied by L. Warnken. (Now known as 231 N. 1st St) The building planned will have sides of hollow tile, gravel tar roof, front and rear of stucco and a maple floor. The length will run at least 70’, width 45 feet, and two stories high part of the way to provide clubrooms. When completed the building will represent a value of $12,000 to $13,000.
February 24, 1924 was the Dedication of The American Legion Memorial Hall.
Oct 25, 1925: A change was made in the building one which would add about twenty feet to the building and ample ventilation. French doors have been made on both sides of the small platform at the west end. A fireplace has been built into the center of the west wall, which are mostly windows. Additional maple floor is being laid and everything will be ready for the big opening dance of the season
October 1926: The following have been elected officers of Dixon Post 208. Dr. O. P.Floreth, Commander; C. A. Jacobs, Vice Commander; Frank McDonald, Adjutant; J. M. Cowden, Finance Officer; Carleton Fisher, Historian; L. A. Philips, Chaplain; Walter Fisher, Sergeant at Arms; and J. V. Dawson and D. Tweeter, executive committeemen
October 1932: With the installation this Wednesday of the new officers of Dixon Post American Legion, another good year is being looked forward to under the leadership of Commander Claude Rohwer The American Legion Memorial Building was sold back to Solano County for $12,000 in 1929 or 30, because of the Depression.
Categories: Veterans Hall
1305 N. First St.
Dixon, CA 95620 USA